After 20 hours of flying, we got into Bangkok on Friday. We checked into our guesthouse, took looonnnngggg, hot showers, and crashed for a couple of hours. The first day in the city was dedicated to dejetlagification.
On Saturday, we took a short walk around the city, visited Wat Arun, and hung by the guesthouse pool for the day. At 6:00, my good buddy, Somsak, picked Megan and me up at the guesthouse. I met Somsak on Ko Tao my first trip to Thailand at a small dive resort. He is a super guy and has shown me some incredible sights around Bangkok. On the trip Megan and I took in 2004, we met up with Somsak for a night in the city. It was great seeing him again this trip. He arranged a dinner cruise on the Chao Pryah River through the middle of the city, where we chowed on some really good local dishes. Somsak's fiance, Pik, accompanied us. It was great meeting her and hearing about their upcoming wedding this November.
Sunday evening, we boarded a charter bus for an "overnight" trip to Phuket for some fun in the sun. This was not in the original plan, but it seemed like a damn good idea after seeing all the brown-skinned backpackers around the city. Let's just say that the trip to Phuket was quite an adventure, consisting of 2 very long rides on buses that shook and jumped much like the 25 cent vibrating beds you see in 80's comedy movies. We got to Karon Beach Monday afternoon . . . sweaty, stinky, but surprisingly happy. A couple cold beers and a knockout sunset over the Andaman Sea took away any backside soreness from the bus rides.
We're gonna soak up the sun a few more days, then head north to get on the original schedule.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I miss y'all around here!
I think that when I was about ten years old, I probably prayed to God that he would make my mean, big brother disappear. And, as it turns out, God answered that prayer . . . just a little too late (and he took Megan, too!). Now it sucks that you two aren't around. Megan - I went on our classic greenlake/Burke/UWcampus run today and missed our Megan-Megan heart-to-hearts!
Anywho, I am glad y'all are tan and ridiculously good looking now.
-Sizzle-
Glad to hear you made it safely. Hope your enjoying fun in the sun! BTW, how is "Phuket" pronounced?? I'll leave it at that before this comment ends up in the ditch...
Post a Comment